Friday, March 5, 2010

Define & Focus Your Intentions with a Vision Board: It REALLY Works!


Recently, I had dinner with one of my sista's Stacy Small. We were both yapping about the recession, how it’s been affecting our businesses, and what we’ve been doing to market ourselves. Stacy mentioned that every December for the past few years, she’s been making a Vision Board. She said her Vision Board really helped her define, focus, and successfully achieve her goals. (I do something similar each December, as I pick 3-4 business goals I want to achieve for the coming year. I write them down along with bullet deal points. AND, did you know even Oprah makes a Vision Board?)

I like the Vision Board concept, because you have words and pictures, thereby creating more sensory stimulation and focused visualization. Below is a simple definition of a Vision Board, and how to make a vision board.

A vision board is a collage of images, pictures, and written affirmations of the intentions and desires you wish to achieve. It helps your focus through visualization, thus, activating the Universal Law of Attraction, or “likes attract likes”. This means the more you focus and think about something, the more likely it is to materialize and happen in your life. Vision Boards are also called Dream Boards, Treasure Maps, or Vision Maps. I think a Vision Board is a healthy self-care tool.

How to Make Your Vision Board
1. Take a couple days to percolate and meditate in a quiet place about what personal and professional goals you’d like to manifest and successfully achieve in 2009. I usually choose no more than 3-4 as this keeps me focused and not overwhelmed. Before I go to bed at night, I also ask myself what are my goals?

2. After you are clear about your 3-4 goals, you’ll need a few things including a poster board, a glue stick (sticks are best as you to easily move or remove picture), pictures from old magazines (use your old ones, get them from friends, hair salons, doctor’s offices, and the library), photographs, and/or printed from the internet.

3. Go through the images and begin to cut out photos, words, and phrases that intuitively resonate with your new goals. Then, lay them out on the board—but do not glue them yet. Leave a space in the middle to place a favorite photo of yourself. (If you have gained weight, and one of your goals is weight loss, post a photo of yourself when you were at your ideal, comfortable weight.)

4. Try to be specific about the photos and words. For example: if you want to make more money in your job use green dollar signs around your job picture. If you want a new car then, place a photo of the car with color you want too.

5. When you feel comfortable with the photos and words, glue them to your board.

6. Hang your new Vision Board in a place where you can see it often.

I hope you have fun while getting clear about your intentions and goals this year—especially losing weight and getting fit. I have my written goals next to my desk, sitting in the hands of my Buddha statue. I intend to place my poster board above and to the side of the Buddha. In this challenging economy we can all use a little extra help and support. Namaste to my sista’ Stacy for sharing her good karma marketing biz with me…and now you. Let me know your results by emailing me at info@LindaLaRue.com;)!

No comments: