“Exercise scientists recommend that if you work out at a moderate to high intensity level for 90 minutes or longer, you should consume a healthy snack within 30 minutes post–exercise. The recommendation by the American Dietetic Association is to consume 1–1.5 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight to allow for maximum replenishment of glycogen stores, the primary fuel or energy used during moderate– to high–intensity exercise; and 10–20 grams of lean protein to help repair muscle tissue.”
Here are my top 3 favorite healthy post workout fast-fix snack recipes from my SOUPer Slim Diet ebook available for purchase at www.LindaLaRue.com/store.
Summer White Peaches and Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
|Summer White Peaches & Non-Fat Greek Yogurt|
½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1 ripened white peach, diced large
1 ½ tsp. lavender honey (or any good quality)
Mix together and enjoy! My favorite variation: Add 1 T. of chopped pecans or sliced almonds for some extra crunch/texture and protein. Enjoy!
Egg White Frittata
Nonstick Cooking Spray
¼ Cup Chopped Scallions
1 ½ Cups Broccoli Florets
1.5 Ounce Sun Dried Tomatoes
1 T Chopped Fresh Basil or 1t Dry Basil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Separate egg whites from yokes and place in medium size mixing bowl.Beat egg whites together until frothy and cover with egg whites. Then, fold in remaining ingredients.
3. Bake at least 25 minutes or until eggs have set. Yields: 4 servings. Serve size: 1 cup. Nutritional Content: 80 Calories, 0g fat, 11g protein, 9g carbohydrates, 0mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium.
Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana Smoothie
|Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie|
1 small ripe banana, sliced
1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
3 T low-fat peanut butter
4 packets of Splenda®
2 tsp. cocoa
1⁄2 tsp. imitation banana extract (optional)
1 cup crushed ice
1. Place sliced banana in freezer for 10 minutes or until slightly firm.
2. Process all ingredients in blender until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides. Serve immediately. Yields: 4 servings. Serving size: 4 ounces. Nutritional content: 110 Calories, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 4g protein, 30g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 95mg sodium.