Monday, January 12, 2009

Is Back Surgery the Solution for Back Pain?


I thought I would post this article, "For Back Pain Sufferers, Surgery Isn't Always the Answer", in todays LA Times Health Section.  I am not a proponent of back surgery.  I believe physical therapy that focuses on core strengthening, flexibility--especially your hip flexors, hamstrings, and your chest muscles--and keeping great postural alignment is the key to managing back pain.  I have had good success working with back pain clients practicing my Crunchless Abs Methodology, and now incorporating my new, Core Transformer resistance training tool.

In 1991 I was involved in a traumatic ski accident that changed my life.  I herniated two discs in my neck, and completely tore my left knee ACL, MCL, and medial meniscus.  (I had an existing L4-5 bulging disc that completely herniated from tumbling down the slope.)  I hit my head on some rocks, then, blacked out.  I received a fairly significant concussion too.  The next morning I remember waking, feeling as if I was living in a completely different body.

My Crunchless Abs Methodology including my workout DVDs is a result of my peak performance core and back rehab athletic training drills I began practicing with my elite athletes and myself.  Like I said, I am not a big believer in back surgery.  I am able to keep my clients and myself pretty much pain free by practicing what I preach daily.  That is keeping proper alignment by functional, core performance training.

How about you?

L.

No comments: